Thursday, August 12, 2010

We're closed....

So in traipsing around foreign countries much like I've done I've come to the conclusion that....well you've just gotta be willing to make a fool out of yourself when it comes to language. The only way you remember anything is if you blunder it up or make a mess of it.

For example I had the chance to visit a sleepy little town outside of Izmir...near Efes called Selcuk. Its quaint, quite touristy but very much attune to the culture it is in. They are used to foreigners coming. I mean Epehsus is only has thousands of years of history and imagine who stood there. That's a rabbit trail for a later date. Anyway so we went to a cute little local restaurant. And as always they serve Kebap, Pide, etc. Yummy Turkish food. My minimal knowledge of Turkish allows me to order for the group I'm with. Yes, I like Ayran. I mean its good a little salty but good. I love gozeleme with it too. So I order okay everything is fine. I get up to leave and I can't remember the phrase to say to the person/waiter who served us....yup I finally get it and I say "Gech Mis Olsun" or some thing to that effect...yup. That is what you say when someone is ill. Really now? I felt kind of stupid. But it happens you laugh and now I know the phrase to say when they are working which is "Kolay gelsun..." Forgive me if I messed that one up too...never did take classes.

So why this story? Well a few days ago in the new place I've landed I went to the store. I knew exactly what the man was saying and my mind knew what to say....but you'll never guess what I said. Yes...I answered in the wrong language....not in Turkey but its close. I answered in Turkish. My brain said oops....wrong country. That is going to be interesting. I know what people are asking me but I just can't seem to get the right language out. At least its humorous for the people around me. I'll blame jet-lag on that. Which by the way I finally beat! Wahooo :) at least I hope I did.


And in honor of Turkish/Turkey:

Here you go:

Beautiful Epehsus this time about a year and a month ago last year. Such history in this one little place....

No comments: