Friday, August 27, 2010

Reality Sets in...

School has started! Yes, I'm in my third year of teaching and in a whole new place. I'm kind of stepping back and realizing I can't believe I made it to my third year of teaching. I thought I'd never make it my first year. And now...third year? What happened. Really its because of one person and that's God. I can attest to Him getting me through those rough two years, providing me with friends in the places and lots of support. Which I continue to get. In some places teachers quite within the first two years. Most of it is because the just don't have the support they need or people helping them. Sharing ideas, etc. Now no work situation is idea but I can truly say He has provided each step of the way.


And now to the title...Reality....I'm planning on staying for at least 2 years. And this summer will not be spent in the states as normal. I'm okay with it. But it's crazy to think I won't be able to go home collect school supplies. I need 2 weeks...ha ha ha :). Its okay though I'm okay (okay that'd be a lie). There's something about being able to leave the place you work and vacation. I may have to do just that. Find a cooler spot and just get out of here for a week or two. It's hard to imagine the people I've spent the last few summers with I won't see them until 2012. I'm trying not to think about it but I am...even then it may not even be till 2013. Hmmm.....but its not my home anymore. This is my home for now. Yes, I left stuff in the states. I've got boxes of books that just can't come with me :(. I've got stuff I would've loved to bring but it's stuff. When J.C. walked the earth He had nothing. What do I have? Nothing? Well, I have some but really I have nothing. What do I need with books I've read before, watch them collect dust? Make me feel like I have stuff? When I was in Turkey I had books I bought from a sale. I read them but then I had to leave. Why is an empty book shelf so unappealing? I've come to the conclusion that it makes you feel like you have roots. A place to call "home." Reading 1 Peter I'm always reminded that this country, my passport country and anywhere else I may live for a bit is not my home. I'm reminded every day that I'm a foreigner by walking around. Looking at signs in another language and English and looking at the faces of people around me. My ultimate home is elsewhere. And I thank Him for that hope. So what does this have to do with an empty bookshelf? Lots...that shelf reminds me that I'm not supposed to make this my home. My new "home" is here but wherever I go....its not my "home".

Here's to the next part of this race marked out for me!


This picture is my last day teaching ESL at my old school...its over :( but I've got some place else:


And here's the new place....I've got more updated pics...but yes this is it for now :)

2 comments:

lindacarter said...

You can go visit Lacey & Rob..it will probably be a while before they can come to the States and a year or 2 before I can go visit them...we will all get through this together because we know that we will all be together eternity....keeping you in my daily prayers...loved my bookmarks and card from you!

Jesse said...

Exciting.. I hope you do get to travel a bit. I'm here in South Africa till 2012 but at least my parents are coming in January.