So the local Bakal here is like the mini-mart in the US. You can get some basics, eggs, milk, bread, cheese and snack foods. You never know what you can find. They are small and usually at the bottom of apartment buildings. They have ice-cream during the summer but put it away because you might be ill if you eat ice-cream in winter. Who knew. I didn't., Anyways so the morning I was getting ready for school my roommate informs me...we're outta milk.
Of course I would prefer not to drag myself to Makro. Its kind of a long walk and I always get more than I need on a day I don't really want to go there. And all I want is milk. Therefore creative minds sink in. All we really need is milk. I decide go to the Bakal.
Now milk here doesn't have a long life. I miss big quarts of milk that last about a week. I could drink that stuff until the cows well I'm off topic. Anyway shelf life isn't long unless you get shelf milk which is an acquired taste. We usually opt for fresh. Standing there the yabanci (foreigner) staring slowly (yavash) at the milk in the store fridge I finally pick one up. The Bakal owner almost, and I am not lying bounded out of his chair to grab the one I was going for. He said something along the lines of this is expired. Finally after comprehending exactly what he said I picked up another one. This one was okay but he still said look at the date. I did it looked fine to me. After that adventure the sweet old man at the bakal made sure that I had bag and was on my merry way. Of course the little kid there at the end butted me in line but they kind of ignored her. I got my milk. The reason I tell this story. Some people here not all but a few might have let me purchase that milk there. I'm thankful for that proof that He is always there in the little things that really don't matter to us like purchasing milk.
No comments:
Post a Comment